Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor

I admit that I've been doing a lot of reading ARCs (Advanced Reader's Copies).  I like to see what's coming up instead of what's already out.  I luckily was told about Edelweiss Above the Treeline and I signed up and I am able to download ARCs to my old school, first generation Kindle for free.  Free is my favorite word!  I recently was able to download one that interested me.  It said that this book was similar to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green which is probably one of my all time new favorite books (more for the 8th grade and up group).  So, I thought, let's give it a shot.  It's called Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor.  Like "The Fault..." Maybe One Day also has cancer front and center.  It's the heart wrenching story of your best friend getting cancer and how it changes everything in a blink of an eye.  Zoe and Olivia have been best friends since they were 4 years old .  They met in dance class.  Their world revolved around dance and they thought they were going to be world famous dancers until...the dance school kicked them out for not being good enough. This stops Zoe from dancing all together and Olivia decides to use her skills to teach an inner city class.  Unfortunately, Olivia is diagnosed with an aggressive form of Leukemia.  It sends both girls into a tail spin, one wondering if she'll live and the other feeling like a piece of her is missing even though she is healthy.  Of course, there is a cute boy who complicates things a bit.  It's a lovely and funny book for high school students (there is more mature content, language, mature situations).  Give this to your girls who loved The Fault in Our Stars or those who want a good cry.  They'll love you even though it will make them cry.  This book will be coming out Feb 18th, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment